The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Irrigation Irritation

I honestly wanted to tell you about the cedar-log retaining wall today, but out of necessity, the last few days have been all about irrigation. The outer leaves of the romaine started to droop two days ago, and as soon as I noticed that I kicked it into high gear (which involved making a cup of tea).

Last year's sprinkler wouldn't work, as we've changed the garden layout from a long rectangle to more of an L-shape. More to the point, last year's sprinkler just wouldn't work. I grow increasingly weary of tools with plastic parts. The sprinkler my parents had when I was a kid was all metal. Sure it rusted a bit, but as far as I can remember I was jumping through the same sprinkler at 2 that I was at 12. They certainly didn't have to replace it every year.

Anyhoo, all this adds up to a trip to the hardware store, which of course makes me happy. On the way in, I grab a tomato seedling of the 'Golden Girl' variety A) because gold-flesh tomatoes are delicious, and B) because I want to name it Betty. I pause briefly at the seed displays and find some soya beans (yay, edamame!) before finally making it to the sprinkler aisle. As I am not interested in watering the weeds behind my garden, I can thankfully eliminate anything that's not directionally adjustable and quickly zero in on the pulsating lawn sprinklers, adjustable anywhere from 30 to 360 degrees. I need about 270. Perfect. I chose the Melnor Deluxe Metal Pulsating Sprinkler, because of the options in front of me it seemed to have the most metal parts and the strongest adjustable collars. If it doesn't last the season, or if I have to replace it next year, I will certainly let you know.



At home, I quickly pre-drill a hole in a conveniently located stump and gently cram the thing in there. A bit of fine-tuning the directional spray, and minutes later I am giddily watching my plants get watered. All that's left to do now is dig out the programmable timer, replace the batteries and figure out how that thing works again. But surely that can wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment