The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

Friday, June 18, 2010

This is a chard-free zone

My husband is a great guy. He has many wonderful qualities, and I'm lucky to have him. At least this is what he tells me on a semi-regular basis. Most of the time, I'd have to agree with him. However, he's more of a big picture guy and not so good with the attention to details. This is why, last year when I asked him to pick up the romaine seedlings I really should have double-checked. And when we got home and unpacked what turned out to be Swiss chard, I really should have tried to take it back. But I wasn't really interested in a 40 minute drive back into town, and decided I could learn to like Swiss chard. This was perhaps my biggest mistake of all.

Now, please don't regale me with the benefits of chard. The bottom line is that I don't much care for it, and therefore it took up vaulable space in my garden. If you love it, by all means plant it. It grows really well. Too well, actually. I had to rip it out of the garden at the end of the season, because neglect alone wouldn't kill it. The lesson learned here? Only plant what you'll actually eat. This may be what happened to the eggplant, too. Aesthetically, I love eggplant. The glossy dark aubergine with it's little green hat. Taste-wise? I could take it or leave it. My new rule: if I haven't bought it at the market in the past year, I'm probably not going to know what to do with it when it when it crops up in abundance in the garden.

This year I was in charge of picking up the romaine, and I triple-checked it before I got to the checkout counter. I'm already looking forward to the multiple Caesar salads we'll be eating throughout the summer. And I'm able to focus on my husband's finer qualities. All is well with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment