The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bambi Can Kiss My Ass

I blame Disney movies. I have to hide the rat traps from my son because he loves the movie 'Ratatouille', and has bought the pro-rodent propaganda hook, line & sinker. And the there's 'Bambi', with his abnormally large head and huge fluttery eyes. Distracting me with his cuteness as his cohorts sneak in and ravage my strawberry plants. Anything but the strawberries! Where were they last year when I had all that chard??

Normally, a German Shepherd is one of the best deer repellents you can have. However, it only works if she's out in the yard. This past week, while we were visiting relatives and she was having a week-long playdate with the neighbour dogs, somebody came in and ate all the budding strawberries. I was able to narrow the suspect list, as the culprit ate all the leaves, too. Also missing: the young carrot tops and the beans that had just started sprouting before we left. These clues, combined with the damage to the fence and the hoof-prints in the dirt, all lead straight to the deer. I owe my deductive prowess to years of reading Nancy Drew as a young girl.

So what to do? At this point, not much. Chalk it up as a loss, fix the fence and let the dog take care of the rest. To the deer-lovers out there, she'll never catch one and would not know what to do if she did. She just makes it not worth their while to come into the yard. I'm certainly not going to let the deer in on this fact, though.

Another note on the pest front: found another slug lounging on the radicchio. I suppose I really should get around to that seaweed thing. Frickin' slugs. (I know; juvenile swearing. But my mom might read this, and I'd already be in trouble for saying 'ass'. Sorry, Mom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment