The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

The Procrastinator's Garden - June 2010

Saturday, July 24, 2010

What Day Is It??

Ah, summer. When the days just roll together and you find yourself one day thinking "wait a minute...it's Saturday? Wasn't I supposed to write a blog entry yesterday?" And then you think "I could just skip it. I'm sure my massive readership of 5 won't even notice." Then you think "the whole reason I started this blog was to have some sort of accountability for writing regularly, so if I skip it, I'm only letting myself down." And then you think "You sound like my mother."

In case you can't tell, I'm a little unprepared and uninspired today. Can't pinpoint why; we had a great walk on the Galloping Goose Trail yesterday followed by the afternoon fun of "let's vacuum Momma's car!" Finally got that seaweed in the garden bed. Did laundry. Put away the last of the camping gear. Perhaps there's the reason for the lack of inspiration. Yesterday was what a friend likes to call a GSD day (Getting Sh*t Done). When you're an at-home parent on GSD days, most of your inspiration goes into convincing your kid(s) to help you, get out of your way, or at the very least not sabotage your efforts by jumping into the pile of freshly folded clothes. Come to think of it, even our lovely walk was occasionally tarnished by ruminations on my part of what all needed to get done. Thankfully, almost-4-year-olds are brilliant at living in the moment and bringing you along with them. So what if you have to re-fold the laundry.

Today, I pledge to get out of my own head. Forget about the never ending list of S that needs to GD. Today, I will take lessons from my son on how to have fun, follow my heart and go where the day takes me. These are the days that tend to bring boundless inspiration. These are the days that remind us why we bother with all the busy work in the first place. The first and only item on today's agenda? Don't have an agenda. In the true procrastinator's spirit, there's nothing I need to do today that can't be put off until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment